STEP (Small Town Economic Prosperity Program) is a microenterprise loan program (MLP) that was started by the Rural Economic Development Center Inc. The mission of the MLP is to promote self-employment, small business creation, and economic independence in rural North Carolina. The MLP offers loans from $500 to a maximum of $25,000. The Microenterprise Loan Program makes personal loans for business use. Lansing is one of nine NC communities participating in this program.
Town of Lansing Community Loan Fund Process
1. The Town of Lansing Clerk will give interested applicants information about the Community Loan Fund Program and an application packet, including the pre-application, and will review loan requirements with the applicant. Applicants will be advised to return the application to the Town of Lansing, Town Hall.
2. The Town of Lansing Clerk will forward the completed pre-application to the N.C. Rural Center staff for review and comments.
3. The Town of Lansing Clerk will advise the Community Loan Fund Program Credit Committee of potential applicants and will schedule a meeting of the Credit Committee of any application meeting Rural Center criteria.
4. The Credit Committee will review and provide recommendations on applications.
5. The Town of Lansing Town Clerk will forward the recommendation of the Credit Committee to the N.C. Rural Center for a final decision.
Town of Lansing Community Loan Fund Priorities
Preference will be given to projects applying for the Town of Lansing Community Loan Fund that meet the following criteria:
1. Locate within the Town of Lansing City Limits.
2. Locate in a vacant building within the Town of Lansing City Limits.
3. Involve a business not represented or underrepresented in the Town of Lansing and/or within the area serviced by the 28643 zip code.
4. Involve, but not limited to: retail/wholesale sales, manufacturing and services.
5. Involve a destination or tourist attraction for the City Limit area.
6. Involve artist galleries and/or show rooms.
7. Involve regularly scheduled special events.
8. Result in the creation of new, full-time jobs.
*While priority shall be given to projects meeting the criteria listed above, secondary consideration for approval will be given to other projects located in the area serviced by the 28643 zip code.
Certain projects are NOT eligible for Community Loan Funding:
1. Non-owner occupied real estate investments
2. Non-profit entities
3. Distribution of products related to gambling, adult entertainment, or predatory lending.
Town of Lansing Contact Information:
Physical Address: 173 B Street, Lansing, NC 28643